The Knights of Columbus is committed to the principles of charity, unity, fraternity, and patriotism. The Order is quite clear in its loyalty to the Pope, the Vicar of Christ on Earth, and the defense of the priesthood. It is firmly committed to the protection of human life, from conception to natural death, and to the preservation and defense of the family. The Knight of Columbus was established in 1882 By Father Michael J McGivney to provide “pecuniary aid to its members, their families, and beneficiaries of members and their families” and “rendering mutual aid and assistance to its sick, disabled, and needy families.”
Council 1013, the local council here at St. Johns, was established in 1905 and we continue to follow these precepts. During the past fraternal year (2015) we raised and donated $3563 to local organizations. Additionally, we donated 1054 volunteer hours. Those hours consist of various events in six different categories:
· Community (Rochesterfest, Highway Clean-up, Lenten Fish Dinners)
· Council (Tootsie Roll Drive, Special Olympics, Monthly Socials)
· Family (Ladies Tea, VBS, Golf Tournament, Bean Bag Tournament)
· Culture of life (Rosary for the Unborn, Rose Sale, March for Life)
· Youth (Soccer Challenge, Free Throw Contest, Altar Server Recognition)
· Church (Corporate Communion, RSVP Program, 5th Sunday Rosary, Sunday Hospitality).
Our most recent event was our Soccer Challenge. We had 28 competitors with seven local council winners, three of which went on to win at the District level. One of the District winners went on to win his age group at the State level. Congratulations to SJE parishioner, John Njeru!
John receiving his trophy from Bou Gazley, State KC Youth Director
If you are interested in learning more about the Knights of Columbus here at St. John’s, please contact Royal Johnson,
or any Knight. We would love to meet you and invite you to join us. It is a privilege for us to work together in service to Christ and our community.
Mike Wolter, District Deputy 31