Rev. J. A. Cummiskey of Winona came to act as assistant at St. John’s in January of 1908. During his period, Father Cummiskey organized a club for the youth in the parish, called St. John’s Institute. The Institute provided opportunity for recreational activities as well as religious discussion.
By 1911, Father Cummiskey had been transferred. Rev. J. L. O’Connor came from Sauk Center to be the administrative pastor and he started the plans for schools to be built on the property adjoining the church.
Three new schools were completed and opened for classes in September of 1913: a grade school for all; a High School for girls’ known as St. John’s, and taught by the sisters; and the other, Heffron High School for boys.
Father O’Connor resigned in 1914; and Rev. Garret P. Murphy came to begin a pastorate for twenty five years.
Rev. Peter W. Bartholome was named pastor in 1940. During his time, Lourdes High School was begun and the rectory was completed.
In 1942, Rev. Louis D. O’Day came to St. John’s from St. Thomas’ parish in Winona. Lourdes High School was opened for classes in January 1942. In the middle of the 1950’s, Rev. O’Day, formulated plans to replace the old church building and begin an expansion program. The parish debt was paid and a building fund was started.
The building began in 1955; the architect of the new church was Edward F. Wirtz of New Ulm, Minnesota. The contractors were all from Rochester.