The edifice with a seating capacity of 1200 was one of Rochester’s most distinctive architectural acquisitions at that time. The church, built of Mankato stone, was severely simple, but most impressive and dignified. The general style of the architecture was contemporary.
The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on Sunday, January 27, 1957 at 6 a.m. by Father Joseph Mountain.
Rev. Msgr. Max M. Satory became pastor on February 27, 1964. It was the 100th anniversary of St. John’s. Events for the observance were an open house for the public on September 27, a parish census, and a special centennial Thanksgiving Day Mass.